- Let’s keep a clean and green school by using the correct garbage can.
SAT Word of the Day
Scholars’ Academy Morning Messages (add one)
HS: Lafayette College Visit
An admissions representative from Lafayette College will be visiting Scholars’ Academy today. Juniors & Seniors who registered on Naviance for this visit should report to room 305 immediately after home room.
HS: PSAL girls tennis
The girls tennis team continued their undefeated record beating beach channel yesterday by a score of 5-0. Great job to all who played!
HS: EA/ED College Applications
Friday October 7 is the last day to inform the College Office if you are applying Early Action and/or Early Decision to college. If you are submitting a college application with a deadline of December 1st or earlier, you MUST email either Ms. D’Annunzio or Mrs. Caraccio. Please include the name of the college and the deadline. If you have any questions, please stop by the college office.
HS: Girls Varsity Basketball Medical Forms
Good Morning! If you are interested in trying out for the Girls’ Basketball team and do not play a Fall sport please bring in your PSAL Medical form by next Friday.
You can find the medical form on my 11th grade Global History website.
Email email@example.com with any questions.
HS: HS Cheerleading/Stunt Team
If you are interested in trying out for the Cheerleading/Stunt Team for the 2016-2017 year, you must have a PSAL medical form filled out by your physician. You can locate the forms on the PSAL website psal.org. Tryout dates are TBD but will take place in late October. The team this year will be both cheer and stunt combined so you will need to commit to both Winter and Spring seasons. If you have any questions you may email Mrs. Doran at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HS: Model UN Interest Meeting
Anyone in grades 9-12 that is interested in joining the Model UN, please report to a meeting in room 311 after 9th period at 3:35pm.
HS: HS Film Club
The high school film club will be meeting today in room 301 during period 6. If you are interested in writing, editing, directing, acting, or crafting props and scenery, come join us!
If you have questions, you can e-mail Mrs. Bloomfield (DBloomfield@scholarsnyc.com) or Ms. Konsker (AKonsker@scholarsnyc.com).
- Scholars’ Academy Staff Points of Contact
- Collegeboard Announcement Page
- Parent Testing Resources
- PA Bylaw 2015-DRAFT
- Parent Handbook, 2016-2017
- School’s yearly Statistics
- Principal’s Monthly PA/SLT Report September 2016
- Principal’s Monthly PA/SLT Report June 2016
- Principal’s Monthly PA/SLT Report May 2016
- Principal’s Monthly PA/SLT Report March 2016
- Principal’s Monthly PA/SLT Report January 2016
- Principal’s Monthly PA/SLT Report December 2015
- Guidance Office and Crisis Resources for Families
- Library Media Center
- The High School Virtual Tour
- The Middle School Virtual Tour
- Scholars’ Academy DOE Official Homepage
- Scholars’ Academy on Vimeo
- SAT Word of the Day Slides
- Add to the Morning Message
- View the Morning Messages
- The Weekly Event Preview
- The Scholars’ Academy Calendar
- Scholars’ Weekly Team Record and Schedule Updates
- Scholars’ Academy PSAL page
- The Scholars’ Academy Sports Calendar
- Scholars’ Academy Athletics
- Scholar’s Tech Support page
- Technology Support Request Form
- Printer Information Form
- Classroom Technology Inventory
- Room Reservation Sheet
- High School Events
- SUMMER ASSIGNMENTS
- Alumni Transcript Request Form
- 12th, –> 11th, –> 10th, –> 9th Welcome Letters
- Club Regulations Form
- Course Change Request Form HS
- Community Volunteer Organizations
- Student Metrocards
- Scholars’ Academy Student Actionable Suggestion Box
- Appeals on Academic, Lateness or Dress Code Probation
- Testing Resources Site
Scholars’ Academy Related
- School’s yearly Statistics
- Clothing Design Checklist
- Scholars’ Academy Data Highlights 2015-2016
- Cellphone Policy
- Safety Materials for Distribution 2016-2017
- Gymnasium After School Reservation Form
- The Scholars’ Academy Staff Academic & Instructional Handbook 2016-17
- The Scholars’ Academy Staff Policy Handbook 2016-2017
- Custodial Maintenance Form
- Field Trip Form Package
- Overnight Trip Permission Slips
- Evening Event Forms
- UFT’s guide to Advance
The Seaside Chronicle
- The Seaside Chronicle (Winter 2016)
- The Seaside Chronicle (Summer 2015)
- The Seaside Chronicle (Spring 2015)
- The Seaside Chronicle (Winter 2015)
- The Seaside Chronicle (Summer 2014)
- The Seaside Chronicle (Spring 2014)
- The Seaside Chronicle (Winter 2014)
- The Seaside Chronicle (Fall 2014)
- The Seaside Chronicle (Summer 2013)
- The Seaside Chronicle (Spring 2013)
- The Seaside Chronicle (Fall / Winter 2013)
- The Seaside Chronicle (Fall 2013)
- The Seaside Chronicle (Summer 2012)
- The Seaside Chronicle (Spring 2012)
- The Seaside Chronicle (Winter 2012)
- The Seaside Chronicle (Fall 2011)
- SA Org Sheet 2015-2016 (9/13/16)
- 6th Grade Teacher Schedules
- 7th Grade Teacher Schedules
- 8th Grade Teacher Schedules
- 9th & 10th Grade Teacher Schedules
- 11th & 12th Grade Teacher Schedules
- Enrichment Teacher Schedules
- Physical Education Teacher Schedule
- Respect for All letter
- Student-to-Student Discrimination, Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying Report
- Student-to-Student Sexual Harassment Complaint Form
- PBIS Suggestion Box
- PBIS Mentor Referral Form
Scholars’ in the News
- Scholars’ Academy has been recognized as the #5 school of the 40 top high schools in NYC!
- Rockaway Park Students Hit by Sandy Pay it Forward (NY1: 10/29/15)
- Scholars’ is top 23 from 60 High Schools (Daily News: 10/15/14)
- Scholars’ Academy: Best High School (Daily News: 10/15/14)
- Scholars Academy to Get Federal Funds for Sandy Repairs (NY1: 2/1/14)
- Residents Say Odor From Rockaway Water Pollution Control Plant Stinks (NY1: 11/12/13)
- Queens Students Document Sandy Journey On Film (NY1: 6/14/13)
- Sources: Union Leader’s Son Charged In Connection With IPad Theft From Sandy-Damaged School (NY1: 5/17/13)
- Police Arrest Man Suspected Of Robbing School During Sandy Clean Up (NY1: 2/27/13)
- Final School Shuttered By Sandy Reopens In Rockaway Park (NY1: 1/12/13)
- Students From Storm-Damaged School See Their Beloved Mascot Once More (NY1: 12/20/12)
- Displaced Rockaway School Holds Conferences At Floyd Bennett Field (NY1: 11/30/12)
- Educators Admit To Growing Losses Due To Post-Sandy Looting Of Schools (NY1: 11/29/12)
- Looting Reported In Storm-Damaged Public Schools (NY1: 11/28/12)
- City To Offer Online Classes For Displaced Students (NY1: 11/22/12)
- Students Take Swipe At iPad-Guided Workouts (NY1: 10/16/12)
- Rockaway Park School Waits For Shoveled Sidewalks (NY1: 1/18/11)
Magic Box Videos
- Eye of the Seawolf: PBIS at Scholars’ Academy
- The Scholar’s Academy: Class 607 Original Stop-Motion Animations
- Santa Claus for a Cause:The Scholars’ Academy Pays it Forward
- The Scholar’s Academy:A Home Away From Home
- STEP INTO A SCHOLAR’S SHOES pt1
- STEP INTO A SCHOLAR’S SHOES pt2
- STEP INTO A SCHOLAR’S SHOES pt3
- Magic Box and the Common Core
- Magic Box/Scholars’ Academy: Hurricane Sandy Remembered
PD and CEP
|Music (Kohn) Chorus (Kohn)|
|Intro to 3D Design||Music Track (Kohn)||Music Theory III||Physical Education|
|English (Ms. Davidson & Ms. Negron)||Guidance Counselor||Guidance Counselor||AP Music Theory|
|English (Ms. Moran)||Mrs. Frasca|
|Guidance Counselor||SAT-PREP||Guidance Counselor|
Scholars’ General Calendar
Scholars’ Sports & After School
|2||9:00 – 9:45||2||9:00 – 9:45|
|3||9:50 – 10:35||3||9:50 – 10:35|
|4 (LUNCH)||10:40 – 11:25||4||10:40 – 11:25|
|5||11:30– 12:15||5||11:30– 12:15|
|6||12:20 – 1:05||6||12:20 – 1:05|
|7||1:10 – 1:55||7||1:10 – 1:55|
|8||2:00 – 2:45||8||2:00 – 2:45|
|9||9||2:50 – 3:35|
|10||10||3:35 – 4:20|
|11||11||4:20 – 5:05|
The Scholars’ Academy Middle School Virtual Tour
The Scholars’ Academy High School Virtual Tour
Vision Statement: To engage the entire Scholars’ Academy Community in cultivating and celebrating well rounded scholars and citizens equipped with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to pursue success and happiness in the 21st Century
Mission Statement: To prepare for college and careers of the 21st Century
Theory of Action: To leverage technology to enhance student learning through increased efficiency and communication
Teacher’s Creed ( by Principal Brian O’Connell)
First, I will do no harm: not to body, not to mind, not to attitude, not to confidence, not to dreams, not to trust.
I will inspire, foster curiosity, engage, question, challenge, coach, and counsel.
I will engage students with and raise awareness of facts and known truths spanning history and cultures in order to teach students how to think in order to question facts and prove the new truths of tomorrow.
I will help students think and act with honor, ethics, and respect.
I will prepare all students to find what possibilities exist within their beings so they may pursue their potential and independently discover their respective roles in society.
I will be an educator: one who draws forth the strengths of students to be independent, informed, productive, and participatory members of society.
Scholars’ Academy Instructional Focus 2016-2017
STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT WILL INCREASE THROUGH TEACHER-DESIGNED LEARNING TASKS THAT ENGAGE STUDENTS WITH LEVEL 4 DEPTH OF KNOWLEDGE QUESTION PROMPTS AND DISCUSSION TECHNIQUES.
Comprehensive Education Plan Goals 2016-2017
Rigorous Instruction CEP Goal
CEP Goal #1:
By June 2017, teachers will plan and enhance rigorous instructional tasks within each lesson plan to improve Questioning and Discussion Techniques which will result in at least 50% of all teacher observation evaluations scoring Highly Effective (HE) in Danielson Competency 3B (Questioning & Discussion Techniques.
Supportive Environment CEP Goal
CEP Goal #2:
By June 2017, the Scholars’ Academy will enhance the school-wide Comprehensive Advisory Program to support the social, emotional and academic well-being of students as individuals, learners and members of the community through six advisory sessions resulting in at least 85% of students who agree or strongly agree with the three survey questions that pertain to students getting to know other students, teachers connecting to students cultures/backgrounds, and teachers notice when students are upset or have emotional difficulty.
Collaborative Professional Learning CEP Goal
CEP Goal #3:
By June 2017, the Scholars’ Academy will implement a comprehensive collaborative professional learning plan that supports teacher readiness to engage in at least 3 advisory sessions, 3 collegial lesson study cycles, and a minimum of 4 subject team specific sessions designed to impact teacher use of questioning and discussion strategies via improved lesson task design and data analysis. This will result in 50% of teachers rated Highly Effective in Danielson Competency 3b, an increase of 3% from the 2015-2016 school year.
Effective School Leadership CEP Goal
CEP Goal #4:
By June 2017, the leaders of six teams, critical to Scholars’ Academy functioning, will engage their respective teams in at least 3 Cycles of Learning protocol sessions on team-specific Problems of Practice which will enhance inter-school communication, ownership, and accountability.
The six teams are:
- Professional Learning
- School Safety
- College and Career Readiness
- Advisory (Task Force)
- School Implementation (Supporting Students with Varying Learning Styles), and
- Pupil Personnel
The leader from each of these teams will share data points with Cabinet and SLT at three checkpoints throughout the year and bring feedback to their teams to continue the Cycles of Learning process.
Strong Family and Community Ties CEP Goal
CEP Goal #5:
By June 2017 the Scholars’ Academy will conduct four events planned to enhance Strong Family and Community Ties.
Scholars’ Live Streaming Schedule
Click image for full resolution
You can use the Scholars’ Academy Staff Points of Contact document if in need to contact an administrator. Teacher’s contact is coming soon…